A SPITFIRE that was due to fly over the region’s hospitals in tribute to our NHS workers last week will make its return to the region – and it will hopefully happen tomorrow.
The historic flypast is set to fly across hospitals in County Durham, Teesside and Tyne and Wear between 11am and 3pm tomorrow.
The original flight had to be called off after poor weather conditions in West Yorkshire hampered visibility last Thursday.
But confirming the new timings, Lucy Stevens of the Aircraft Restoration Company, told The Echo that the team of volunteers were looking forward to finally performing the flypast.
She said: “The weather is looking promising, we are really looking forward to flying over the region tomorrow.
“I know last week everyone was excited to see the Spitfire and we were really gutted when we had to cancel because of the weather.
“But tomorrow it is looking like it should be a really good day, we have changed the route slightly and had added more places so that more people will hopefully get the chance to see it.”
These are the timings for your part of the region tomorrow
Like last week, the flights will be split into two routes with a break at Teesside Airport for two hours.
– Harrogate District Hospital – 11:51am
– York Hospital – 11:57am
– Friarage Hospital, Northallerton – 12:08pm
– Darlington Memorial Hospital – 12:14pm
– Teesside Airport for landing 12:20pm
The flight will then continue with a flypast over the following hospitals
– Teesside Airport takeoff 1:30pm
– University Hospital of North Tees 1:35pm
– James Cook University Hospital 1.45pm
– Peterlee Community Hospital 1:48pm
– University Hospital of North Durham 1:53pm
– Lanchester Road Hospital 1:54pm
– Chester-le-Street Hospital 1:55pm
– Sunderland Children’s Hospital 1:58pm
– Sunderland Royal Hospital 2pm
– South Tyneside District Hospital 2.05pm
– Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead 2:07pm
– RVI Newcastle 2:08pm
– Newcastle Freeman Hospital 2:10pm
– Hexham General Hospital 2:17pm